Green Deal

Green Deal Energy Saving For Your Home or Business

PART 1: How The Green Deal Works

You can make energy-saving improvements to your home or business without having to pay all the costs up front through the Green Deal.
Energy-saving improvements include:

  • Insulation – eg loft or cavity wall insulation
  • Heating
  • Draught-proofing
  • Double glazing
  • Renewable energy technologies – eg solar panels or wind turbines

What you need to do

  • Get an assessment of your property to see what improvements you can make and how much you could save on your energy bills.
  • Choose a Green Deal provider to carry out the work. You discuss with them what work you want done and whether the Green Deal is right for you.
  • If you go ahead with the improvements you must sign your Green Deal Plan – this is a contract between you and the provider stating what work will be done and how much it will cost. The provider will then arrange for a Green Deal installer to do the work.
  • Once the work is done, you’ll pay off the money in instalments through your electricity bill.
If you’re a landlord, you must get your tenant’s permission before you sign up, and if you’re a tenant you must get your landlord’s permission to sign up – this also applies to social housing.

More Information

Get more information about the Green Deal –
Energy Saving Advice Service
0300 123 1234
Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
Saturday, 10am to 2pm

Energy Saving Scotland
0800 512 012
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 5pm

PART 2: Getting An Assessment

You’ll need to choose an authorised Green Deal assessor. They will come and assess your property and discuss your energy use.
You’ll be given a Green Deal Advice Report – this will explain what improvements you can make and estimate how much you could save on your energy bills.
You may have to pay for an assessment – you should check with the assessor before the appointment.
If the assessor organisation intends to quote for improvements or recommend specific products or providers, they’ll need your permission before the assessment is done.
You can get a Green Deal provider to arrange an assessment for you.

Green Deal Mark

Green Deal assessor organisations must be authorised to act under the Green Deal – look for the Green Deal Approved Quality Mark.
Green Deal providers and installers must also be authorised – they will display the quality mark if they are.

After the assessment

Contact a Green Deal provider to discuss what work is right for you. They can then arrange for any work to be done.
You can get quotes from as many providers as you like – you don’t have to choose all, or any, of their recommendations.
If you get a provider to organise your assessment, you don’t have to use them to arrange the work.

PART 3: Repayments

The amount you repay for Green Deal improvements is based on what a typical household or business is expected to save on energy bills by having the work done.
The cost will be shown on your Green Deal Plan (the contract between you and the provider), and will include the interest rate.
Most improvements should reduce your heating bill because you’ll be using less electricity, gas or oil – but the actual savings depend on your energy use and the future cost of energy.
Before you sign your Green Deal Plan, check you understand the repayment rules.

How You Repay

You’ll pay the money back through your electricity bill. This is so that the Green Deal stays with the property – ie if you move, you no longer benefit from the improvements and therefore stop paying for them.
If you have a prepayment meter, a small amount will be taken from the meter each day instead.
You can pay off your Green Deal early, but you might be charged a fee – check with your provider.

Help With Costs

If you’re on benefits, a low income or live in an old property, you may be able to get help with costs.

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service or Energy Saving Scotland.

PART 4:Part 4:Moving into a property with a Green Deal

If you move into a property with a Green Deal, the landlord or seller must show you a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate – this will explain what improvements have been made and how much you’ll need to repay.
The person who pays the electricity bill pays the money back – so if you’re a tenant in a rented property, you’ll be paying back the costs, not the landlord. This is because the tenant can expect to benefit from lower energy costs.
You can change electricity supplier, but only if the new supplier is participating in the Green Deal.

Get more information

If you have questions about improvements, warranties or repayments, contact the Green Deal provider – their contact details will be on your Energy Performance Certificate.
If you have a complaint and it can’t be dealt with by the Green Deal provider or supplier, contact the Green Deal Ombudsman.

<<< Contact us now for more information or Call us on (0)1455 2222 88>>>